Crochet Tips: No Ends in Sight

 When working a large afghan, blanket, sweater or poncho in crochet, you often have to change to a new ball of yarn.

By nature, it seems that I always have to use multiple balls of yarn for large crochet projects. 

Anyone who knows my knitting and crochet style, knows that I don't love the finishing work. The worst of it, to me, is the weaving in ends. I have always looked for ways to minimize how many ends I have to weave in. 

The felting method is my absolute favorite method when it comes to animal fibers and non-superwash wools. I have even been able to get this method to work with some of them. So, I thought I would share this method with you, in hopes it helps.

This method will work with changing between one color and the next OR if you run out of one ball of yarn and are adding another ball of the same color.

Felting Method:

When you come to about 5 inches away from your next ball change, take the end of your yarn and pull the plies apart. 

Make sure that all plies in your yarn are pulled apart about 2 inches up. Do the same for the ball you are going to add to your work. 

Meld the two yarns together and kind of wind them around each other. Then, spray or dip your yarn with water. Warm water really works good for this process. Put the yarn splice in between your palms and rub. What really makes this process work is the equation of Heat + Agitation = Felting. 

See video below for a illustration of this method.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to weave in less ends!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring KAL & CAL

Summer Knit Along

Westknits Geogradient MKAL Spokane Meetup